Organizing Notes

Bruce Gagnon is coordinator of the Global Network Against Weapons & Nuclear Power in Space. He offers his own reflections on organizing and the state of America's declining empire....

My Photo
Name:
Location: Brunswick, ME, United States

The collapsing US military & economic empire is making Washington & NATO even more dangerous. US could not beat the Taliban but thinks it can take on China-Russia-Iran...a sign of psychopathology for sure. We must all do more to help stop this western corporate arrogance that puts the future generations lives in despair. @BruceKGagnon

Thursday, December 30, 2010

'WHEN I WAS ARRESTED'

I wrote to Sung-Hee Choi (in photo above) and told her that people were wondering what happened to her when she got arrested on December 27 along with thirty-three others as they tried to block the Navy from sending in the cement trucks to cover the rocks along the coast in the Gangjeong village. This is her response:


When I was arrested, I had a sign, made by the Gangjeong villagers and hung on my neck that says ‘No naval base that is faked as a civilian-military complex harbor (Gangjeong villagers’ Committee against naval base).’

The police was relatively gentle to me. They dragged me with the sign. So I was wearing the sign most of time when I was in the two police stations (I was first in the Seogwipo police station near Gangjeong then was moved to the northeastern part police station of the Jeju island). The arrest itself was illegal and unjust and at first I did not say anything even my name. But they already knew my name with a letter miss-spelled.

There is a policeman who is a spy in the village all the time.

Yesterday, I got the letter from the Jeju police that I was arrested for bla bla bla…

I guess all the arrested got the similar letter and there should be joint action for it. But I can’t think of it now well until I write about the Jeju. There are so many things in my head and I am struggling to narrow it.

Thanks very much for all the care and concern again.

MAKE A CALL: If you'd like to help please call the South Korean embassy in Washington DC (or in your own country) and tell them to stop building the Navy base and to quit arresting the villagers. The phone in Washington is 202-939-5600

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home