Organizing Notes

Bruce Gagnon is coordinator of the Global Network Against Weapons & Nuclear Power in Space. He offers his own reflections on organizing and the state of America's declining empire....

My Photo
Name:
Location: Brunswick, ME, United States

The collapsing US military & economic empire is making Washington & NATO even more dangerous. US could not beat the Taliban but thinks it can take on China-Russia-Iran...a sign of psychopathology for sure. We must all do more to help stop this western corporate arrogance that puts the future generations lives in despair. @BruceKGagnon

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

HEAVEN SENT

Our trial yesterday was continued to August 29 after a confused beginning that was caused by the government lawyers handing out a document to our lawyers as we arrived in court that changed the charges against us.

A new law was passed in Washington DC in May that made it easier to prosecute those who protest at places like the White House. So the prosecution decided to charge us in violation of that new law. But our arrest was on March 19 so our lawyers asked for a dismissal of these charges for obvious reasons. The judge denied our request for dismissal.

But then as the judge tried to proceed with the process it became clear that he could not move forward because when he asked the defendants if they had seen a copy of the charges against them everyone answered No because we had just been made aware of the new charges that morning. How could we be expected to properly prepare for trial when the government had changed the charges?

So back we come on August 29. My take on the whole thing is that the system is a total mess. I can't imagine how anything gets done.

So now unexpectedly having extra time on my hands, I made my way to Ocean City, Maryland to visit my long-lost cousin who has a vacation place on the shore. When my mother divorced my father when I was about two years old I was torn from the Gagnon side of the family. My cousin, the son of my father's brother, tracked me down and we've been corresponding for several months. It has been wonderful to make contact and much to my utter joy he is a fan of the Baltimore Orioles and The Kinks. It seems impossible to believe but it is true indeed.

It's what I'd call heaven sent.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

if you can't tax 'em, eat 'em!

7/15/11, 11:07 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home