Organizing Notes

Bruce Gagnon is coordinator of the Global Network Against Weapons & Nuclear Power in Space. He offers his own reflections on organizing and the state of America's declining empire....

My Photo
Name:
Location: Brunswick, ME, United States

The collapsing US military & economic empire is making Washington & NATO even more dangerous. US could not beat the Taliban but thinks it can take on China-Russia-Iran...a sign of psychopathology for sure. We must all do more to help stop this western corporate arrogance that puts the future generations lives in despair. @BruceKGagnon

Saturday, January 19, 2013

HOMER SMELLS


As I typed the headline above
Homer groaned.  I swear he did.
I looked down at him on his bed,
weary knees creaking
and sad eyes,
and I thought I heard him say
"Ok, you can post my picture
but don't abuse me."

I'll try not to Homer.

We just went on a walk to, and through, the woods.
He was anxious to get out
and once moving, his wobbly knees can still
carry us on his pulling romp
from one smell to the next.

Homer likes the snow
especially the yellow marks
cocaine I guess
citrus flavor.

He sniffs cars too
like a police dog
from one end to the other,
identifying the occupants
and potential dog scents?

He does not lick
first dog I've ever seen that does not lick
He sniffs
clothes
shoes
mustaches
mouths
ears
What is he looking for?

The book "American Indian Myths & Legends"
has a story I love.
"The Dogs Hold an Election"
It's a Brule Sioux tale.
They say the reason dogs are always sniffing each other
is because they are looking for a leader.
They hold a convention each year
where they nominate dogs for the post
but the debate over which is the best
seems endless and is never resolved.

I asked Homer what he thought....
He looked away, sort of raising his eyebrows.
I thought I heard him say we don't need one.
We just need each other.
Join the pack.

3 Comments:

Blogger PhuiYi said...

Homer Knows
His methods may be extraneous and less prominent in the human realm.
He pays attention to them,
how he perceives the scents in every sense.
"Follow your nose" a theater professor told me once
as I was confused about my interests.
Homer's nose
knows.

1/19/13, 7:38 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

"We just need each other."

1/19/13, 9:29 PM  
Blogger Zacherydtaylor said...

Four legs Good; two legs bad.

1/21/13, 10:58 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home